Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Day #23

Another day of rest. Kinda. I had to give a talk at church which was quite stressful for me. After we had my family over dinner. It was my turn to be in charge so I tried to plan a menu that would fit into my diet that wouldn't be to disappointing to the rest of my family. I made Asian Chicken Salad and Egg Drop Soup from my Weight Watchers five ingredient 15 minute recipes. I decided to relax after cleaning up so I started the dinner late and everyone had to wait. The recipes took longer than 15 minutes. Here are the recipes

Asian Chicken Salad
1/3 c. light sesame-ginger dressing (I also had Miso Ginger dressing which was 80 calories but super yummy)
2 navel oranges
4 cups chopper romaine lettuce
3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
2 cups shredded napa (Chinese) cabbage
1 cup thinly sliced snow peas
1/2 cup matchstick-cut carrots
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)

1. Place dressing in a large bowl. Grate rind from 1 orange to measure 1 teaspoon; stir into dressing. Peel oranges, and cut in half lengthwise. Cut orange halves crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices
2. Add orange slices, lettuce and next 4 ingredients to dressing; toss well. Sprinkle with almonds, if desired. Yeild: 4 servings (serving size about 2 3/4 cups)

Per serving: calories 259; fat 5.1 g, protein 34.9g; carb 18 g; fiber 4.2 g

Egg Drop Soup

2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 (32-oz.) container fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 c water
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup chopped green onion

1. Combine first 3 ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl. Add cornstarch mixture to broth mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until soup thickens slightly. Add egg to broth mixture in a slow, steady stream, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, and stir in onions, if desired. Yield: 5 servings (serving size; about 1 cup).

Per serving: Calories 136; fat 3g; protein 21.4g; carb 4.8g; fiber 0.1

I felt the soup needed a little soup added even though I'm trying not to eat a lot of sodium.

No comments:

Post a Comment