Monday, February 6, 2012

Day #2

Yesterday was day two and the Sabbath so I had a day of rest. Well, if you can call taking three young boys to church a day of rest. Even though I didn't exercise I did maintain my diet. I consumed 1,156 calories. I thought how did I consume more than the day before. I added the calories from Day 1 again and realized I had miscalculated and had only eaten 1,010 calories. Whoops, didn't mean to go that low. Anyways, Day 2's dinner was a big hit. I made Tortilla-Free Burrito's from one of my Biggest Loser books. Here is the recipe:

Tortilla-Free Burrito

1 1/4 pounds lean ground turkey
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 cup diced yellow, red, or green bell pepper (I used red)
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground mustard (I actually didn't have any so I just omitted)
1 tsp. oregano
Red chili flakes (optional)
1 1/2 c. cooked black or kidney beans, or 1 can, rinsed and drained (I used canned black beans)
1 (10-oz.) pkg. frozen spinach, thawed, or 10 cups fresh baby spinach (I used frozen)
cilantro (I forgot this even though I had some)

Coat a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven with cooking spray. Add the turkey, onion, and bell pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes, until just cooked through.

Add the chili powder, cumin, mustard, oregano, and chili flakes, if desired. Stir well. Add the beans and spinach and cook just until heated through. Season to taste. Garnish with cilantro.

Makes 8 (1 cup servings)
Per serving: 140 calories, 21 g. protein, 12 g. carbohydrates (1 g sugar), 2 g fat (0 g saturated), 30 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 105 mg sodium

I did make the family some corn tortillas and added cheese to to theirs. Because I am not adding salt to anything to keep my sodium intake low I added 4 tablespoons of fresh salsa to mine. It was really good. My family really enjoyed it and I had to fight for the leftovers for the next day's lunch.

I watched Biggest Loser (we are still watching the second season). It made me think about how much of losing weight is psychological. I read a statistic recently that said "weight loss was 90% mental and 10% physical." Wow! That is a huge percentage. Some of the others quotes I like dealing with weight loss are: "If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail". I think that is so true in almost everything in life, but especially weight loss. Because I have planned my meals and my times that I will exercise there is no question on what should I eat or when will I make time to exercise. I like the quote "making my fat cry" for when you are working out. Hey, I'm not sweating, I'm making my fat cry! Take that fat! Even my title for this blog is psychological. The hostess for Biggest Loser always says at elimination time "It's time to cut the fat". Yes, yes it is.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you are right on with your diet. I am impressed.

    A couple other quotes for you that I like are: "If you are going to doubt something, doubt your limits," and "Suck it up, and one day your won't have to suck it in."

    ReplyDelete