Sunday, April 1, 2012

Still going...and going...and going...and going...man, I feel like the energizer bunny.


I have to say that when I finally figured out the eating aspect of this journey I have felt so much better. You can't hate the fuel and the food you put into your body is the fuel. I've loved to cook so much in the past and was having such a hard time enjoying the journey when I felt so restricted. I am eating around 1500 calories a day and enjoying them. One of the parts of cooking that I really cherished before was baking. I made a limit of one dessert a month. I know this is not a good long term goal. I love to bake and eat baked goods to much. I decided I need to figure out a healthier way to include these. Also, I wanted to take treats to the girls that I work out with. Some of them will no longer be in my class and I just wanted them to know how much they meant to me. I decided upon trying this recipe

Blueberry Cream Muffins

butter-flavored nonstick cooking spray
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 packets (about 4 grams) powdered stevia, such as SweetLeaf
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
4 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into small chunks (freeze for 10 minutes to make easy to cut)
1 cup frozen blueberries

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper baking cups, and lightly coat the cups with cooking spray.

2. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, stevia, and salt. Whisk together.

3. In a medium bowl, add the milk, applesauce, agave oil, vanilla, and egg substitute. Stir together until well incorporated. Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and stir till well combined. Fold in the cream cheese and blueberries.

4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tin. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean, about 18 to 20 minutes.

Per serving: 145 calories, 5 g fat (1 g. sat), 7 mg chol, 244 mg sodium, 22 carbohydrates, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein

Please note that whole wheat pastry flour is different than whole wheat flour. I had to go to Kitchen Kneads to get this. These are also a mildly sweet muffin. They will not be nearly as sweet at your full sugared muffins. I really enjoyed them though.


No comments:

Post a Comment