Okay, here is a recipe that was a big hit with the WHOLE family.
Green Chile Chicken Tortilla Casserole
Nonstick cooking spray
1 pound tomatillos, outer husks removed, rinsed
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
1 fresh poblano chile pepper, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
12 6-in corn tortillas, halved
3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1 3/4 cups shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style four-cheese blend (7 oz.)
1 16-oz. jar salsa
chopped tomatoes and/or snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
1. Preheat broiler. Lightly coat a 2-quart square baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. Line a 15x10x1 inch baking pan with foil. Place tomatillos in the baking pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 6 to 8 minutes until softened and charred, turning occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly.
2. In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and chile pepper; cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender and onion starts to brown.
3. In a blender or food processor combine tomatillos, onion mixture, the 1/4 cup cilantro, the sugar, cumin and salt. Cover and blend until smooth, stopping and scraping sides as necessary.
4. Spread 3/4 cup of tomatillo mixture in the prepared baking dish. Arrange six tortilla halves over the sauce, overlapping slightly. Top with 1 cup of the chicken, 1/2 cup of cheese, and half of the salsa. Add six more tortilla halves and top with 1 cup chicken, 1/2 cup cheese, and half of the remaining tomatillo mixture. Add six more tortilla halves, the remaining 1 cup chicken, and remaining tomatillo mixture. Top with the remaining six tortilla halves and the remaining salsa, spreading to cover.
5. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and chill for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Cover and chill the remaining 3/4 cup cheese until needed.
6. Preheat oven to 375. Remove plastic wrap. Cover dish with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle with the remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake about 20 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, garnish with chopped tomatoes and/or snipped fresh cilantro. Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 253 cal., 9 g total fat (4 g. sat. fat), 60 mg chol, 648 mg sodium, 19 g. carb. 3 g. fiber, 25 g. pro